|A short history|
|The first written reports date
back to 1205, when Acquaria was an autonomous community subdue to
With the arrival of Estensi Family Acquaria entered in the Sestola province.
But on 1657 it became domain of Conte Codebò (Known as Codibue) to return back under the province of Sestola on 1742.
From 1756 up to 1788 it has been given as governance to Conte Antonio Maria Sacco (or Sacchi) from Milan and when he died it has been aggregated to the new "province of Frignano".
The name "Acquaria" derive from the ancient and famous thermal spa (watering place) of which it would be found trace in a portion of the acqueduct that goes into the public source.
Presence of nether springs caused disastrous landslides like the one occured on XVI century that destroyed the Castle, the church (consacrated to S. Andrea - Saint Andrew) and about fifteen houses of the ancient village.
The church was then rebuilt on 1622 and restored on 1671; on 1686 the image of the "Vergine del Castagno" (Holy Virgin of the chestnut tree, so called because her image was found hanging on the chestnut tree in a place named "Pian della chiesa") to whom it was attributed miracles, was laid on the church altar.
The oratory of S. Rocco, located in the Acquaria square, was built on 1625 at community expensis.
The last calamitous landslide occured on 1842 and caused the desctruction of the entire west portion of the town center.
|Back to Table of Contents|